Tuesday, July 6, 2010

letting go of fear and stress


MEDITATION FOR GAY AND BISEXUAL MEN


I hope this finds you well. I had a great time in Madrid and the weekend retreat went well. It was great being with such a warm, friendly and handsome group of men! The feedback was that the retreat had given them a real sense of community. The focus of the retreat was on the loving kindness meditation which was new to many of the men there and it had a profound effect for some. The retreat has helped me to connect much more strongly with my own practice, especially the power of letting go into being present in the moment, in the timeless space of 'Now', which is ever changing yet completely still. It is a paradox, and one I am keen to explore further with you in the group.

I had a moment of extreme physical and mental pain during the retreat when I dislodged my big toe nail - an old injury and a place of weakness waiting for an accident to happen. In that moment I saw how my mind worked to create aversion, fear, the wish to reject my present experience. I also saw that by letting go of all the mental stories into the moment, trusting that it was exactly as it was meant to be, I could connect with a place of equanimity and peace that was not touched by the pain. This required a letting go of the ego's belief that it could be in control of things and so could have made different choices that would have avoided the accident and all of the thoughts about how things would be over the next few days and the sense of loss and sadness. I had to feel it all fully and at the same time release any attachment to it and rest in 'not knowing'. As my teacher in the monastery always told me ''This is how it is'', and it took such a strong pain to make me let go into this pure presence. The problem is rather than rest in not knowing and the present the mind wants to create a story about what is happening and how things will be. I could see my mind worrying about how this would spoil the few days of holiday I had after the retreat - my first in 20 years - how it would last for months and all the difficulties it would cause - but the truth is we never know how the future is going to be, all we can do is live moment by moment and respond to each moment afresh. Through living from the moment I was able to let my body heal, without being caught up in all of the mental anxiety, fear, worry etc that normally would add to the simple pain present in my toe. And as I sat and released all this fear and worry a retreatant came out and announced he was a Doctor, so I got expert attention and care.

This has given me great confidence in the power of the teachings I have received and a strong wish to share them in a way that may help others. So over the coming weeks I shall be exploring letting go into this pure present awareness in the Monday class.



Class details:

Join in a friendly and relaxed evening with other gay men. Start the week in a calm environment, learn skills to help you let go of stress and nagging thoughts, meet great people.

Classes every Monday except Bank Holidays.

Doors open at 7 for a prompt 7.15 start. Finish at 9.15 pm

Class fee: £8 donation. More or less according to what you can afford.

Evening includes a half hour tea break mid evening, so a chance to chat with the other guys in a relaxed and friendly environment.

Mats, cushions and chairs are available. Wear loose trousers for comfort.

No need to book. Suitable for beginners and experienced meditators who want to join a group or try a new approach.

Venue:

Friends Meeting House, 8 Hop Gardens, off St Martins Lane, London. WC2N 4JS
(near Trafalgar Square, between Leicester Square and Charing Cross Tube stations).

The entrance is in the lane that runs off St Martin's Lane between Med Kitchen and the Gymbox. Press bell number 1.


Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=17212895388008758385&q=8+Hop+Gardens&hl=en&cd=1&ei=e8KvS77SDIXUjAfL0ciOBQ&sll=51.510639%2C-0.126557&sspn=0.071946%2C0.071946&ie=UTF8&ll=51.545481%2C-0.167885&spn=0%2C0&z=13&iwloc=A

Feedback from people who have attended the class:

"I came to the meditation group not knowing what to expect. I was met with warmth and inspiration. The class was very well run and informative as well as tremendously helpful in dealing with stressful life challenges. It is also a great way of meeting other gay guys in a supportive and friendly environment. Highly recommended!” Paul K

"A safe, inviting space for both beginners and those who have meditated before to come together in quiet reflection. Nick Kientsch has created a very welcome weekly sanctum to balance the noise of everyday life." D. Davies

“I’ve found it a wonderful way to round off the week-end and get ready for the week.” Graeme G


CONTACT DETAILS:

Nick Kientsch
07910 224 560


Time Out: http://www.timeout.com/london/gay-lesbian/event/183255/788455/buddhist-meditation-for-gay-bisexual-men

http://www.meetup.com/Buddhist-Meditation-for-Gay-and-Bisexual-Men/

No comments: