Monday, November 12, 2012

Let

Let can be used to introduce suggestions and orders. It is followed by object + Infinitive without to. Let the show go on. Let me get you a cup of coffee. Let us eat - I am hungry. There are two possible negative forms - let us not and do not let us. Let us not stray from the right path. Let us not get angry. Do not let us forget our goals in life. Let with first person pronouns When let is followed by a first person pronoun, it is considered a kind of imperative. Let us (also let's) is used to make suggestions or to give instructions or orders to a group that includes the speaker. Let us go for a walk. Let us eat something. In question tags shall we is used. Let's is used as a short answer. 'Let us have a drink, shall we?' 'Yes, let's.' Let me is used to give instructions to oneself. The expressions let me see and let me think are very common. ‘Can I have the report ready by this evening?’ ‘Let me see.’ http://www.perfectyourenglish.com/usage/let.htm

No comments: