Monday, November 12, 2012

tag question

If I can say, for example: Let's go for a walk, shall we?, then what's the question tag for a sentence beginning with 'Let me', for example: Let me ask you a question? Thanks! Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Ads by Google Instant Grammar Checker Correct All Grammar Errors And Enhance Your Writing. Try Now! www.Grammarly.com/Grammar_Checker 23rd April 2012, 10:29 PM #2 ribran's Avatar ribran ribran is online now modus operandi Join Date Jan 2011 Location Austin, Texas Native language English - American Age 19 Posts 3,210 Will you?? I always keep the 3D glasses. Shhh... Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 23rd April 2012, 10:35 PM #3 DocPenfro's Avatar DocPenfro DocPenfro is offline Senior Member Join Date Feb 2012 Location Little England Native language English - British Age 61 Posts 1,988 "Let me ask you a question, would you?" - "would you" is considered to be a politer term than "will you", so it would depend on the context and your relationship to the person to whom you were speaking. "Let Hercules himself do what he may, the cat will mew and doc will have his day" Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24th April 2012, 9:01 AM #4 Pertinax's Avatar Pertinax Pertinax is offline Senior Member Join Date Apr 2010 Location Queensland, Aust Native language BrE->AuE Age 56 Posts 1,221 Dawnstar's first sentence ("Let's go for a walk, shall we?") is a first-person plural let-imperative, so perhaps he intended his second sentence to be interpreted as a first-person singular let-imperative. Posts #2 & #3 have, I think, interpreted it as a second-person imperative with "let" meaning "allow .. to". In that case "will you?" or "would you?" would be appropriate. But I don't think that they fit a first-person imperative in general. If I mutter under my breath, to no one in particular: Let me think. Let me see. Don't let me make a fool of myself. Let me have men about me that are fat. (Julius Caesar) .. I can't think of any interrogative tag that fits. Not "shall I?" nor "will you?" nor "may I?". Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24th April 2012, 9:53 AM #5 a little edgy a little edgy is offline Senior Member Join Date Jul 2009 Location Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA Native language English Posts 1,542 "Can I" or "may I" would fit if you're asking permission to ask a question. Let me ask you a question, may I? However, in my experience, by far the most common question tag in such situations is that useful little word "OK." Let me ask you a question, OK? Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24th April 2012, 10:08 AM #6 Thomas Tompion Thomas Tompion is offline Senior Member Join Date Mar 2007 Location Southwest France Native language English - England Posts 18,350 Question tags traditionaly invert the form of the subejct and verb and shift positives to negatives and vice versa. Let me ask you a question, will you? is certainly a possible way of posing a question, but I don't think the will you? is a question tag in the traditional sense. The whole looks to me more like a rearrangement of Will you let me ask you a question? You wouldn't let me ask you a question, would you? has a true question tag at the end. The shall we? in Let's go for a walk, shall we? isn't a traditional question tag either, by a similar token - it's not in a negative form for instance. I'm tending to the view that question tags turn affirmative statements into questions eg. He isn't coming, is he? and that they can't perform the same office for imperatives. If the question is What brief question can one easily append to this imperative to make it stronger and give it an interrogative twist? then we've had some good suggestions, but I wouldn't call them question tags. My answer to the question in the OP would be that there isn't a question tag for this imperative, by definition. Last edited by Thomas Tompion; 24th April 2012 at 10:29 AM. http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2405315 Sir..........I am cofused about forms of tag question. What are tag question forms of ........Let me go,......? Let him go,......? Let her go,.......? Let them go,..........? 27-Sep-2010, 15:34 #2 Rover_KE Rover_KE is offline Moderator Member Info Join Date Jun 2010 Posts 7,484 Teacher Default Re: Tag question Welcome to the board, rana. It's a mistake to imagine that everybody here on the forum is a sir. In the western world we have a number of highly educated women who might be prepared to help you. 'Let him go, will you?' is commonly heard if you are giving an order. 'Let her go, did you?' if it takes the form of a question. The same tag questions can be used whatever the preceding pronoun might be. Rover http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/131227-tag-question.html

No comments: